Sunday, July 7, 2019

Cuba: Begging for Retirement

In Cuba, if things get really bad for you, you can always take to the streets, not to sell something, but to beg. I saw plenty of folks apparently older than 70 who were hobbling about asking for alms. Now. Here is the peculiar part. As I watched them, they usually approached people who were obviously Cuban. It is possible even that they were asking people that they knew, however slightly. What was even more surprising was the response. Usually, if the old man or woman made a direct ask to a person, they usually responded with Cuban paper money and a kind word. When Abby saw it happen once she almost started to cry. It wasn’t just the act of support, but in each case, there was a loving connection made ask well. No begrudged sharing, no questioning of motives. Cash and caring.

In Cuba, I did not see people simply standing and begging, or sitting with a cup. And really there wasn't a lot of it going on, There were a few people walking and approaching people. There was one woman who was clearly differently abled who was sitting on a bench, but nothing like you would see in downtown Philly, for instance.

Related imageFor the record, I have never seen folks as old and rickety as those Cubans on the streets of the Schenectady. Cardboard-sign-traffic beggars in our region tend to be men who, at first glance, seem just fine. I wonder if we would feel differently if they looked 90.

Street begging is an ancient form of social security. I have been approached in downtown Schenectady, but usually by the usual suspects. There are a few folks that simply aren’t able to stand the rules of any particular place. In Tampa, a place with lots of these folks because of the weather, churches sell little give away bags to congregants for them to give to street folks instead of money. The bags have a protein bar or two, a pair of socks, and some toiletries. In the best of all possible worlds, we would have figured out how to help folks who don’t fit into the economic system the way we think they should, but we haven't done that yet.

I am surprised at the vehemence I sometimes encounter when people talk about street beggars. Some folks have little tolerance for folks who aren't industrious enough or smart enough or something enough for a 'normal' job and life. I must confess to several mixed feelings about people trying to make a living on the street, but hatred is not one of them. I have pity, empathy, surprise, caring, and, on my worst days, annoyance. I should stand out on the street begging for forgiveness from such shallow judgement. Would you drop absolution in my cup? Or would you imagine I wasn't working hard enough on it myself?