Monday, June 24, 2019

On Being Comfortable

There was always air conditioning in my life. When I was young, we had fans in the bedrooms and a massive window unit in the dining room that cooled most of the common areas of our house in northern Illinois.



Image result for hot temperatureCuba is hot as hell for several months of the year. It is fairly hot and very humid for my sabbatical outing and not a great deal of air conditioning. We are staying at an airbnb that reverses my childhood situation: ac in bedrooms and fans in public areas.

I do not enjoy being hot. I get achy and grumpy. But I am not the only one. We took a tour of Havana in a classic convertible that seemed like a good idea when we booked it, but it was hot! The driver was a bit sensitive to the heat too and when coming to a stop at an intersection would look for a shady spot, changing lanes to get into the shadow of a building in a way I had never considered or seen before. "Shade!" he would proclaim as he found it. When we got out in a large public square, he found the shade of a lamppost to stand in while we were busy being tourists. Walking down the street during the day, the tourists can be spotted walking down the middle of the street without regard to the sun while the natives have always cased out where the shadows are and are walking there. The longer I stayed, the more I saw people simply and naturally staying out of the sun whenever possible, even for the smallest amount of shade.

When I complain about the cold and snow of NY, please remind me of the grumpy hot that we are avoiding by living up north. It is much easier to fix the cold with another sweater, then when you are in tropical urban heat when isn't much to do about it. Not even three mojitos do the trick. I hear. 

I should find some application to how this affects retirement. But I'm too hot.