Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Left Over Poems

Image result for leftovers



Here are some poems that I found lying about in my notes. Perhaps I thought them unworthy. You can decide.


First Person Singular


I’m not overly fond of “I”
“I”s are a bit selfish, or at least self centered
I think

On the other hand (my other hand)
If I don’t use I or me or myself
I royally proclaim what is
Hiding my I behind the omniscient eye

Perhaps I should try to fool you more
With no “I”s
Much easier to swallow
But less refreshing
So I will brew my
“I”s tea
Dark and dusty
With sugar and lemon


Just the Titles of Books I Want to Write About Retirement

  • Closing Arguments
  • It’s Another: How Everything is Not One Thing
  • The Old Gray Mare: Thank Goodness She Ain’t
  • DayNew Mon
  • Just Desserts
  • Postlewd
  • Fall Forward
  • Jack’s Afterglow: Jumping Over the Candleshtick
  • Taps Dancing


I Know a Place


There is a place where I could be
Where no one knows
Me

There is a place where I could start
Over and over
Alone
But safe
In the way that being lonely is
Safe