Monday, April 22, 2019

Arrhythmia

The first day of my sabbatical!

Played squash with Andy Chestnut at 8 am!  No loafing around for me.  After squash we checked in about the next time we would play, as usual.  But it hit me that my schedule is completely different.  Monday was about the only day that really worked for morning squash and now any day was good.  The normal weekly rhythms of my life that I have beat for the last decade are now suspended.

No matter how the other meetings happened, there were always the weekly meeting that happened come hell or high water:
  • Tuesday staff meetings
  • Thursday early morning bible studies
  • Sunday worship services
And then there is the rhythm of how I think about the regular responsibilities.  About Wednesday a certain percentage of my brain is occupied with thinking about the Sunday service and the sermon.  There is a cognitive basket that is in the background gathering ideas and stories and perspectives for the message.  Then on Friday the shuffling begins with a somewhat larger percentage  devoted to mashing about the notions that have come up earlier in the week into an understandable and impactful organization.  What on earth will those sub processors do for 4 months?

I could play squash every day!  Hmm.  Sounds a little compulsive.  How much squash do I want in my life?  Will I have to decide that about everything?  With no schedule, I have to figure out priorities and even what it is that I actually like.  Maybe I could take up golf!  Never had time for it before since it's a longish thing.  Nah.  Don't really like golf.  Pace is too slow.  But here is my point, I have to rethink who I am and what I like given new ideas about the weekly cycles of time.  More writing?  More Guild Wars 2?  More napping?  Get a dog?  Too many decisions.  Work is easier.